Three years after the toxic chemical dimethyl fumarate was banned from use in consumer goods in the European Union, it is still being found in shoes in Australia. Greens NSW MP John Kaye called on state and federal consumer affairs ministers to cut through their divided responsibilities and immediately ban the dangerous chemical.
Dr Kaye said: "If it's dangerous in Europe it is equally going to cause skin burns in Australia.
"Rather than waiting round until more kids present with blistering caused by the anti-mould agent, the nation's consumer affairs ministers should ask the ACCC to immediately follow the EU and ban its use.
"It's time for ministers like NSW's Anthony Roberts to cut through the divided responsibilities under the National Consumer laws and take the lead on protecting health and safety.
"Products containing dimethyl fumarate or packaged with the chemical were banned from sale in the European Union from 1 May 2009. Its use in goods manufactured in Europe was outlawed in 1998.
"The EU regulator acted quickly after the 'poisoned sofa' incident.
"It is an extraordinary indictment of the failure of consumer safety protection in NSW and Australia that kids are still having their feet burnt by this known cause of severe allergic reactions," Dr Kaye said.